Your Hurricane Damage Claim Resource Guide
Hurricanes are devastating, and they can turn your entire life upside down. You’ve potentially lost memories, property, and tragically, even loved ones. The stress only worsens when you try to file an insurance claim and run into roadblocks. Too often, loopholes or clauses you weren’t even aware existed can get in the way of receiving the settlement you need to get your life back on track. There is help available, and with the right resources, you can receive the benefits you need to recover and move forward. Keep reading to get helpful tips from our Disaster Insurance Claims team through our hurricane damage claim resource guide.
Three Tips You Need To Know Before a Hurricane Hits Your Town
Not every insurance plan will cover hurricane damage. Some plans may appear to cover these disasters on the surface, but there could be hidden conditions that make it difficult for you to receive compensation. To avoid some of these potential roadblocks, there are three things you should do before a hurricane hits:
- Check your coverage: Look over your insurance policy to make sure you have hurricane coverage. Hurricane damage isn’t always covered by general insurance company policies and usually requires a specific endorsement to cover a named hurricane. It is also a good idea for you or your lawyer to review your policy for hidden loopholes that could undermine your claims.
- Check your policy for time limits and requirements: Many insurance policies require you to file a claim within a specific time frame after an incident. Be sure you know all of the requirements to file your claim and make sure you stick to those requirements. Follow them exactly.
- Take ‘before’ photos: If you’re worried a hurricane is coming your way, take photos of the interior and exterior of your home or business before the storm hits. This will make it easier to prove the damage that was done during the hurricane.
Tips That Could Help You After a Hurricane
It’s also important to have a plan of action after the storm. Taking the right steps within a day or two of the storm can make the difference between getting the money you need and having to pay for your repairs out of pocket. Here are three tips to help you after the hurricane:
- Photograph the scene: Any evidence you can gather of the damage right after the fact is important to get the coverage you need. Photograph the storm damage in as much detail as possible to document what happened to your home or property.
- Don’t clean up: You will probably want to clean up quickly to try to get back to normal. This can be a mistake. If things aren’t left the way they were found when the insurance adjuster comes to inspect and assess damages, they can claim that those damages weren’t caused by the hurricane, and you could lose your right to compensation. You can make essential repairs for safety, if necessary, but keep this to a minimum and always keep your receipts.
- Contact your insurance company: It’s important that you contact your insurance company right away. The sooner you contact them, the better the process will go. In fact, many policies require that you contact the insurance company within a certain time frame in order to file a claim.
Insurance and Coverage Issues You May Run Into After a Hurricane
Insurance claim denials can often be avoided by making sure you don’t commit common and easy mistakes. Insurance adjusters are trained to deny benefits to policyholders in order to protect the company’s assets. Follow these three tips to help ensure you have the strongest claim possible:
- Document everything: The more evidence you have, the better off you will be. Take pictures, get video, and above all, keep copies of any and every receipt or document you have related to the damage.
- Never sign anything without a lawyer: Signing the wrong document can cost you a great deal in terms of your rights to benefits. Always talk to your attorney before signing on the dotted line.
- Have a lawyer look over your policy: Before you even contact the insurance company, have your lawyer look over your policy. This can prepare you for any loopholes you may have to navigate later.
The Disaster Insurance Claims Team Is Here to Help
If you’re facing the need to file a hurricane claim, the Disaster Insurance Claims Team can help. Get in touch with us today either online or by giving us a call, and we’ll sit down with you for a free case review. We can help you build the strongest claim possible for the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.